Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Quo vadis.....?

Last year, around this time, with my GMAT score in, an MBA didn't seem that difficult a goal to achieve. But then a week is a long time, and a year even more so, and what a year it has been! Of the 11 colleges I have applied to, all save 3 have sent in their polite regrets. Each passing day fills one with despondency; the realization that it's now or never doesn't make things any easier to bear.
So time for a post-mortem; actually it's premature since I still have two more colleges whose replies are yet to come in, one which has invited me for an interview, and I have still one more application to submit. But I still feel it would be worthwhile to do a PM while one is at it.
The PM would start and end with just one sentence: One did not prepare as well as one should have
A favourite grouse of the parents, and quite justified in my case. Frankly I must admit that my whole approach to the affair was a tad frivolous. Deadlines are meant to be respected, but surely one could have written one's essays earlier than the day before the deadline. One's research about the college one was applying to was zilch in most cases, and by the time one realized that over three quarters of one's applications had been rejected. 
Essays could have been submitted for more detailed scrutiny by experts and peers; one always feels one writes well, but then one wasn't writing about the Napoleonic Wars or the Tokugawa Shogunate or the effect of Radium on a photographic plate; one was writing about oneself, perhaps the most difficult of tasks ever devised.

I could always hide behind the excuse that the recession and the resultant upheavals in the professional world are resulting in a steep hike in the applications being received by MBA schools this year. Sure, that may be true and my applications' being rejected may have some connection with that fact, but does that mean I am completely exonerated? Perhaps not; what my competitors may have brought to the table was work experience, a uniqueness of exposure, but surely there must have been something even more unique I could have stated, had I chosen to look within? 

So the point is, the entire campaign has been a disaster, with a few triumphs thrown in between, so far; whether it eventually achieves the status of a fiasco is for time to tell.

3 comments:

the_jackal said...

It will happen my friend... or let me put it this way.. Thou shall be bestowed with what thou deserve :)

Anonymous said...

On-topic: Listen to Pink Floyd's The Wall; it always helps when dealing with academic disappointments :)

Off-topic: One feels that writing about oneself in the third-person gets a bit obnoxious, at times. One could maybe try some first-person POVs for a change?

aditya said...

Reddy my friend...
The trouble is you set too high standards for yourself and are over-critical. Of what I know of you, you will get admission into one of the best B schools. And a school that doesn't give you an admit is not good enough :) Just wait and watch - the prophecy is going to come true!!!

I Quote...

Quote of the Day