Thursday, May 25, 2006

Betrayed!

The decision of the Union Cabinet of Ministers to air-brush all and any objections raised against the by now infamous reservation policy being mooted by the HRD Minister, Mr. Arjun Singh is simply unnerving, if anything. Come to think of it, I found it simply disgusting.
Although my previous posts have clearly enunciated my position on the reservation issue, I do not seek to have this post seen as a part of the same debate. For me, this debate has gone beyond a mere legislation. It has become a battle cry for a whole re-evaluation of the way we interact with our ‘representatives’, and how our ‘representatives’ represent our interests in the highest legislature in this country. That no political organisation, barring the Shiv Sena, has even bothered itself to been even seen to be receptive to the demands and the issues being raised by the protestors speaks volumes for their complicity in this whole affair. I always found it remarkable that the same politicians, who will gladly cut each other’s throats in different circumstances, come together when the issue at hand concerns benefiting them, either directly or otherwise. Maybe before it was remarkable, but now it is plain disgusting.
I seem to be ending each paragraph with the word ‘disgusting’, but that’s exactly how I am feeling. I am feeling let down, by the very people in whom I reposed trust, in whom I believed, in whose integrity I found comfort. Why, Dr. Singh, did you choose to indulge your colleague’s dream for a political comeback? Why, oh why, Mr. Chidambaram, did you not tell your cabinet members that you would not bear the burden of the reservation policy, when you would never think twice about rejecting any proposals entailing expenditure without assured returns?
I donned the raiment of Dr. Singh in a mock press conference in college this year, and felt no shame then, because I believed that I was trying, if even for just a few minutes, to become a saint. Now, I feel like clawing at those moments, tearing them from my memory, for now I have been betrayed!

5 comments:

Ankit said...

Arjun Singh's an idiot: this interview proves it rather conclusively. Can't believe people like him are our representatives...

Anonymous said...

Arjun Singh does not deserve respect by calling him "Mr. Singh". He has single-handedly destroyed India's education system (or what was left of it)!

Singh should be hanged for being so selfish.

Rachna said...

uh...didnt u mean Manmohan Singh??
no one in their right mind whould associate Arjun Singh with the words integrity, sainthood, etc.

Vivek said...

Indeed, I assume Arjun Singh is yet to be so wise as to be honoured with a doctorate.

Pranav said...

We gotta learn to live with it dude.There is no politician in India as of now who has the courage to remove this reservation policy.As for Arjun Singh,the less time and energy we waste over him the better it is.He also wanted reservations in deemed Universties!!!Just imagine what will happen if someone like him has his way.

I Quote...

Quote of the Day