Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Sometimes

Sometimes it is best to leave some things unsaid,
To suppress those emotions, those feelings,
Which, if expressed, could bring one the sense of freedom,
But then traps one in the gloom of guilt and grief,
Guilt at having said something unwarranted,
Grief at having unleashed the floodgates of Time before their time.

Sometimes it is best to say some things aloud,
To free those sentiments from the self-imposed prison of the soul,
To bare them before the world and proclaim,
“Glare all you must at me, oh pitiless humanity,
But my heart knows in its infinite depths,
That I have not erred, that I have done what is right.”

Sometimes one feels the pangs of attraction,
A feeling of somehow wanting to be one with someone else,
To be the sensation that she feels, to be the ears to whom she speaks,
To be the eyes through which she sees,
This world and beyond, the infinite heavens and the stars above,
To live for her joy, and to die for her bliss.

It is foolhardy to live in these momentary glimpses,
To see the world in these flashes of color,
For life is larger than this, for life is greater than this,
And yet there is the thrill of the moment,
The moment when the butterfly unleashes its majesty from the lowly cocoon,
That is when one comprehends the splendor of sometimes, the grandeur of the instant.

5 comments:

humbl devil said...

hmmm...
the same old question...
who's she???
who's she???
who's she???

Vivek said...

People, people, calm down. Every she in any poem of mine needn't be aimed at someone in particular. It's just something I felt like writing, and being male, it would hardly be right for me to write about one's beloved in the masculine.

Sunil Natraj said...

nice work Vivek.
A mind hard at work here, ladies and gentlemen!

Rachna said...

"That is when one comprehends the splendor of sometimes, the grandeur of the instant. "

I like that. Reminds me of my fav lines by Blake.

"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

Vivek said...

Indeed, those are amongst my most favourite quotations/poems. Guess I unconsciously drew inspiration from them.

I Quote...

Quote of the Day