Saturday, August 13, 2005

Out of the blue!

I usually do not go all out against anyone. Maybe, it's because I feel there has got to be another side of the coin, the side which I may not have seen, and having not seen it, my decision is based only on what I perceive. To my great satisfaction, this policy has always served me well, well maybe not always, but generally yes. But then, there are always exceptions to the rule, aren't they?

We have a new Principal in college, and for future reference I am referring to him as P2. Well, P2 is rather young, as compared to our previous principal. The previous chap, for all his work, was often criticised for being dictatorial, even tyrannical in his administration of the institute. Somehow, I failed to understand where he overdid it. As far as my observation goes, his actions and statements were generally logical, and made a lot of sense. Once in a while, when he did go haywire, one could comprehend the pressure that he was undergoing, and should ideally give him the benefit of doubt. I am not posing as a apologist, nor am I pleading for his reinstatement. A chapter once closed is best left so. Tampering with the course of Time is neither easy nor desirable.

But what I felt was that P1 (the previous principal) was a nice guy, really, and it just required one to know him a tad better to understand and maybe even forgive his whimsical behaviour. Whatever his faults, still he was rather polite, understanding, and in some cases, even contributive to the attempt to solve problems inherent in a college.

Given that I have displayed such affection for P1, one may wonder whether I reserve the same for P2 as well. Well, I DON'T! Believe me, I have nothing against him as a person. Maybe if I get to know him a little better, then maybe I may start liking him. But P1 was special. And so in my eyes, I cannot accept anyone other than him as my head. And heck, where's even the comparison?

P1 was a tall, couldn't exactly call him strapping, but yes, impressive personality he surely had. When he walked in a room, one couldn't help looking at him, even if to curse him. He had nearly 40 years of teaching and administrative experience behind him, and this showed in his approach to problems, and even the day to day running of affairs.
P2 on the hand has such a personality that simply blends in the crowd. If I didn't know better, I could even mistake him for another professor. His age, rather his youth, is a disadvantage at times, because then he depends on others to make even the simplest of decisions. And most of all, when any person is invested with such power at a diminutive age, it is bound to go to his head. That individual desires acknowledgement, not as a product of respect, but of that of fear. And that is a dangerous thing.

For the last two years, the students of my college are involved in litigation against the college authorities. Never in the tenure of P1 was our struggle ever used to obstruct our extracurricular activities. And yet now in the final year, P2 actually wanted our placement process to be delayed until such time when our litigation is completed. Such underhanded tactics, and I am not afraid to use that word, are simply unbecoming of a person to whom one must look up to in respect and admiration.

Maybe he had some obligations, some compulsions, but if he would have cared to explain them to us, there may not have so much rancour amongst us. Admitted, even if he would have spoken of this to us, we would have objected, but still his involvement in this drama would be clearer. For now, he's the protagonist, the villain of the piece.

I now fear only for those who succeed me in this college, for in the presence of such an uncommunicative and boorish head, the institute can go nowhere but down, and I pray, that it does not.

4 comments:

Vivek said...

I don't think I need be more explicit than how I have put it to indicate that P2 was seeking to delay placements.

Neeraj said...

I agree with you entirely in your appreciation of P1. I personally hold in him in high regard.
However, as far as P2 is concerned, please do not compare the two. P1 was a man of great experience while P2 is still getting used to his job. As far as teh looks go, guess they couldnt have kept looks as a criteria for selection of princi. The exuberance of youth is often ridiculed, looked down upon. However, give teh man a chance. Realize, India is a lot younger today than ever before - a majoruty of our population is under 30. I see no reason why falling ages cant be seen for the post of the princi. Ofcourse the man has a few insecurities when are seen in his reluctance to communicate..but they shud go away with time.
Dont judge a princi by his charisma(or the lack of it!!)

Vivek said...

I have nothing against his age. In fact, when I first came to know that he was so young, I was rather pleased, as it meant that he might be more understanding of the sentiments of students. However, I have based my judgement not just on his inability to communicate, but also his general behaviour in the college, as also the general impression that most people have made of him. And although I may have written much on his apparent lack of charisma, I do not consider that a prerequisite for a successful principal. I am just asking for a Principal with whom one can talk, and who in turn was ever ready to converse with us. Surely, I am not asking for too much?

Rachna said...

I liked P1 too. A lot actually. Ive had millions of arguments with him. Ive never been able to see his point of view. I must have said an awful lot of things about him that I shouldn't have. But the point is, he let me have my say. He let me barge into his office and shoot my mouth off. And he listened.
P2 however is another story. I do not have a problem with his age. I do have a problem with his appearance. I don't mean his clothes or hair-do. Its the way he carries himself. Its the way he speaks to students. Barks at them rather. He scores 0 on my respect-o-meter.
Yes, Im opiniated and yes, I had made up my mind about him (p2) before I even met him. However, the minute I walked into his office, I knew I was right.(love that feeling!:))

(PS: Just to be fair, P1 too created some problems with the extra-curricular activities. Though Im sure, the idea of messing around with our placement process would never have crossed his mind.)

I Quote...

Quote of the Day