Monday, January 02, 2006

Musings of the New Year

The new year has just started, and the fireworks have already begun. First of all, I had a most royal hangover from last night. Don't worry, I wasn't stocking up on any alcoholic drink (I couldn't even if I wanted to, the stuff makes me sick in the stomach). I just happened to have had stayed up a wee bit longer than I can handle, and viola, my body decides to teach me a lesson. Well, the hangover causes me to sleep through my alarm at 7. Nothing odd in that, except that this time, I have to be forcibly woken up at 8, whereas usually I do manage to come to my senses sometime around quarter to 8. Well, despite my best efforts, I couldn't leave mon chateau any time before 9.
Now, leaving the house at 9 is a strict no-no otherwise, because then there isn't a hell of a chance that I am going to make the 0915 lecture in college. And so I don't make it. And all my luck smiles at me, because the Good Professor is scheduled to take a double lecture, so here goes my 1015 lecture as well. What a wonderful start to a new semester!Now, having left the house on an empty stomach (usually that's impossible. Mother dearest does manage to coerce me into having at least a cup of coffee or even a banana before crossing the threshold. As coffee is on the banned list, and bananas were out of stock, so I managed to slip up the cordon), my head's splitting, very much. Still the 1130 lecture was bearable to say the least, so it just about subsided.1200, high noon, and I thought my troubles were behind me, when the Head of my Department (wonder who's the Tail?) calls me over, and in a very devious voice asks me to resubmit all my project progress reports stat. Not an easy thing to do, I assure you. Calls for an immense amount of creativity, especially since we have done so very little, and must show, at least on paper, to have done a lot. Somehow, I scribbled on some sheets of paper and tried to slip it past her, but no, the Good Lady wants it in printed form. Now, where on earth was I going to get a decent printer at such short notice?That's when the Fates decided they had tested me enough. The Good Lady relents and asks me to submit the printed reports tomorrow, and I am the happiest man on the earth, literally speaking. The day has gone well thereafter. My headache's subsided. Had some very delectable (and sinful too) Butter Chocolate Almond Fudge, as also some very nice Feni (not the drink, the sweet one eats with milk and sugar). The reports are done and ready to be submitted. Life ho to aisi, eh?

No comments:

I Quote...

Quote of the Day