Sunday, January 29, 2006

To feel the joy of salvation!


In all my 21 years, I have read many books, nay; I devoured them, with the appetite to shame a demon. And today, I stand shamed, for in all this time, I never found it necessary to read the one book that stands apart from all the others, and yet identifies with each and every one of them. I speak, in the most reverential tone, of Ayn Rand’s ‘THE FOUNTAINHEAD’.
The stark presence of the protagonist Howard Roark somehow is so irritating, and yet so calming. His refusal to step down from his pedestal is reminiscent of the courage the Olympians possessed, and yet I would not be so wrong as to say that maybe even they may falter in his company. His personality is like Prometheus, resigned to a doom worse than Hades, and yet determined to do his God-given task with truth and integrity. Yet, although I have termed Roark as the protagonist, there are so many characters with which one empathizes, some in a positive sense, some negatively, but empathizes nonetheless. The most powerful anti-hero, if I be permitted the usage of the term, is without doubt Ellsworth Toohey, who through his calm and composed machinations, travels from being a respected figure to one who merits the hatred and scorn reserved for the most deplorable and abominable individuals in society. Toohey, as one of the characters in the book remarks, bears so much resemblance to his homophones, as in gooey, phooey, etc. That in the end he is only booted out of a comfortable job and no more causes some despair, but one figures that even the villain is deemed to have human rights. The heroine of the book, Dominique Wynand nee Francon, at first comes across as a most irritating and disagreeable person, given to tearing down exactly all that she loves the most, merely for the pleasure of doing so, somewhat like the pleasures of the Marquis de Sade, but as the book progresses, one can only express a most heartfelt admiration, even adulation for her strength of character, for even through the most troubling of circumstances, she never abandons her love for Roark. Her husband, the newspaper tycoon, Gail Wynand, at first seems like the invisible phantom, tormenting the world with his newsprint, a despicable and appalling man. And yet, by the end of the book, one reserves a special affection for him, as a man who has been projected, and who chose to be projected as a villain merely because the world was insensitive to his ideals and sought exactly that which he sought not to give. He gives the world the thrill it seeks, because now he sees himself not as a man of the masses, but a man above the masses. It is only sad that in the end, and I do not commit any heresy for this, for there can be no better end, Wynand must lose his beautiful Muse, but fittingly to Roark.
In all this discussion about the remaining characters, I pray I do not do injustice to my adulation of Roark himself, and even as I write this, I wistfully feel that even if it were to be my intention, I could never do so. For Roark is like the font of all that a man must aspire to: a fanatical devotion to one’s ideals, a seemingly stupid, yet awe-inspiring reluctance to abandon these beliefs, even when one’s very existence is at stake, a detachment from one’s creations in that the creator is entitled to his/her attachment/s only so long as the process of creation is underway. Amongst the finest points in the book are his anguished defense of the rights of a creator to differ from the norm, to break with convention, and his proclamation that only those who attempt to escape the commonplace are assured of a permanent place in the annals of history; all the rest are second-handers, living on the carcasses of societal favor and opinion, incapable of changing when the times change, merely because they never possessed the merit in the first place.
Each and every idea emanating from this book is like an eternal message to the world, worthy of being engraved in each and every stone adorning our most decorated and most valued temples of human spirit and achievement. Howard Roark, from this day forth, shall symbolize to me, an indomitable spirit, a spirited soul, imbued with the values of truth, integrity and strength of character much beyond the grasp of imagination. Each message that Rand presents in this book is worth every word she expends on it, and worthy of a patient understanding, if not on the merits of the message itself, but for the salvation of the soul.
Before I end this blog, I cannot but help express my most exultant and eternal gratitude to my dear friend, Winny, whose incessant and sincere praise for this book finally led me to buying it, and I must say, her praise was fully justified not once, but many times over.

8 comments:

Ankit said...

Now go read Atlas Shrugged :)

There are two types of people who like Ayn Rand: those who like Atlas Shrugged better or those who like the Fountainhead better. I'm a Fountainhead person myself...

Vivek said...

I have it, only I wanted to take a break between the two. Having just finished the Fountainhead, I want to waddle (and at this moment, it is the only apt verb I find) in its beauty and sublimeness. So, maybe I will start reading it sometime next week.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your XAT score dude.. i always believed you had it in you! PS: Are you getting IIM or XLRI??? Difficult Choice though!

Anonymous said...

hi DUDE!!!!

What the hell do you write on your blog!!! It sucks big time and netizens need tons of patience to go through it!!! To be frank with you, your posts are boring and can lead to mental disorders.Come on, grow up!!! Write some sense. No one has the patience to read all this crap. Also, you are wasting precious bandwidth.I wanted to write more but anyways there's always a next time...

Vivek said...

Dear Mr. Anonymous no.2,
I do appreciate your comments on my blog, but would like to point out that if you do not find my blog to your liking, you are free not to read it henceforth. However I do feel you needn't generalise your opinion to extend to the entire netizen community. As regards your remark that my blog sucks, well I don't write anything, nor does any blogger for that matter, to please anyone other than himself/herself. As regards bandwidth, well, there are many more sites which could be said to waste most bandwidth than me.
Nevertheless, I am glad that you bothered to even comment on my blog.

Anonymous said...

yeah, read Atlas Shrugged.
can't say which one I like more. FH or AS.

btw, somebody told me that all Rand-ies ought to read ' We the living' too.

Personally, I found it rather depressing, but perhaps it's just me.

Kunal Mudgal said...

I personally found Fountainhead very tedious to read. your view on it has spurred me to have another go at it...

lets see...

Vivek said...

Ranjani: I haven't read 'We The Living' myself, so I really cannot comment on it. Of course, from what I have heard about it from Winny, it seems to be a phenomenal book, but then every man to his own.

Kunal: Am glad you were spurred to read the Fountainhead, and that I had some role in making you revisit the book.

I Quote...

Quote of the Day