Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Courage, thee be sorely lacking!

The recent Jessica Lall verdict somehow further vindicated the cynicism that the Indian people have displayed in the system, and yet, this cynicism is unwarranted, for when it came to people external to the system, courage was sadly lacking. That the system succumbed to the lure of Mammon isn’t as shocking as that those who saw and witnessed this dastardly act taking place retreating behind the curtains of personal fears and shame. Arey jao, what shame do you souls possess? You people don’t deserve even the respect one reserves for an animal, let alone for a human being!
The system stands accused of having yet again murdered Justice at the altars of Power, that too with such impunity. Did they for even a moment think that their inaction and omission of duty would go unnoticed? Could they have thought that the people of this nation are so absorbed in their own quaint lives that they will not notice injustice being meted out? And this inaction has hurt the public’s confidence in the State more than the faith of the Lalls in the outcome of the judicial process.
And yet, as I say this, I pray that when such a day should dawn on me, and that such a day never dawn will be my plea, my nerves should not desert me. That I should find the strength to pursue the truth, even if by doing so, I am to bring my friends to grief, even if by doing so, I am to deliver justice to someone whom I don’t even know. That when I look in the mirror, I see a soul who can and will stand by the truth, no matter how much sorrow this decision may bring.
The Hnble’ High Court’s decision to order a probe into the botch-up is a welcome move, something that should strike a note of fear, nay, an entire symphony of terror, in the hearts of those who are guilty of this reprehensible act. Maybe now, those who turned their backs on Jessica will find within themselves the moral potency to stand up against the high and mighty, and stand by what is right, by what is true, and deliver justice to Jessica, belated, yet delivered.

1 comment:

Nessa said...

Hmm, thankfully, at least the media's doing a great job :)

I Quote...

Quote of the Day