Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Musings on Valentine's Day

Today is Saint Valentine’s Day. Why and how this saintly soul came to be associated with the temporal emotion of love and affections, that too of a romantic nature, is something that always baffled me, but that is not so important.
What is important is that this day celebrates or at least claims to celebrate love of the highest order, the love that binds two souls to each other, that connects two hearts in a manner that is unmatched and unparalleled elsewhere. For those in love, this is the most sacred of days, the holiest of holies, and the most beautiful of moments, when they swear eternal fidelity to each other, the definition of eternal changing from time to time. But what of those who are in love and yet without it?
Dost thou doubt my sanity? For how is it for a soul to be both in love and be bereft of it? Sadly, it is so very possible. For them, this day is nothing if not a painful reminder of their loneliness, of their inescapable solitude, made even more poignant by the sight of their beloved in the arms of another soul. And yet, to these troubled souls, I offer this advice: Revel in this grief, for it’s better to bewail the absence of a soul mate than to grieve in the inattention of the beloved.
I loved, and maybe I loved too much, because it took me nearly two weeks to stabilize after being very politely told to save my affections for someone else, but this day isn’t an aching wound seeking to remind me of that episode. Rather, it gives me hope that there is love in this world, for every soul, for every being. What matters is whether you have the patience and the vision to wait for that right person to come at that right moment. Till then, revel in the joy of seeing the person you loved rejoicing in the beauty of his/her own happiness. Enjoy her smile, grudge her not her joys, and stand beside her whenever she should ask for your assistance, if not as a lover, but as a friend, a true friend.
Somewhere down the line, Valentine’s Day has come to symbolize to me not just the beauty of romance, but also that of love in each and every relationship that we are given to abide by in our lifetimes. This day for me is not just about red roses, and ‘Be My Valentine’ cards, but about being together, with family, with friends, and just spreading love all around oneself. Maybe the Saint would approve!

4 comments:

Pranav said...

Very well said.In the end love is all about giving without expecting anything in return.Just because we love someone,doesn't mean that he/she must reciprocate with similar feelings.There are somethings which are bound to happen no matter what we do and there are things which just don't work out no matter how hard we try.
I can understand what you must have gone through when you got a polite but firm no from that special someone.But,what is more important in such times is the rapport you have with her after all this.There are some times when friendship is much more important than anything else.I hope she too thinks in the same way.
In the end,I must say that V-day is just that-another day.It gives us an excuse to stay with our loved ones and people who have a special place in our hearts.

humbl devil said...

hey guys, come on...
this is too much...
why do we need a special day like v-day to express our love...
for those in love every day should be v-day...
so, think about it...

humbl devil said...

p.s.

true love is a one way street...
when it becomes two-way, it becomes a miracle...

cheer up!!!man...

Vivek said...

Pranav: I agree with you when you say that it's the friendship, if it lasts such incidents, that matters.

H.D.: If you will read my post carefully, I have never implied that the day is special to me in any way. Rather it's just like any other day. Only, on this day we are reminded by our surroundings to renew our vows to ourselves, our family, and our friends. And I agree that love reciprocated is love rewarded, but love unrequited and still mantained is love deified.

I Quote...

Quote of the Day